Rockstar professionals earn celebrity status and one of the most effective ways to do this is to leverage public relations. Public relations is the key to getting exposure and being positioned as an authority in your industry. When someone looks at you and your competitors and you are featured in magazines, press releases or interviews and they aren’t who will look more credible? You! Because you have claimed your stage and are the rockstar professional. Below are 8 tips for leveraging PR to build your brand and elevate your status.
- Target local news outlets. Across television, newspapers, radio and even magazines, identify the top 5 journalists in your niche and align your expertise to what is already happening in the news.
- Develop a Press Kit to present a professional image to producers and journalists looking to cover you in their publications or programs.
- Connect your expertise or message to a relevant, timely event or topic that is generating publicity already.
- Repurpose your expertise into a 2-page magazine article to submit to trade journals, alumni publications, or regional newspapers as a magazine advertorial.
- Take advantage of affinity magazines such as alumni publications or magazines geared toward clubs and organizations in your target market.
- Host a book signing or launch event to generate press and business around your book. Capture photos from “Evening with the Author”.
- Solicit Amazon book reviews from trusted clients and friends. This will give you a head start when trying to generate publicity.
- Create a 30-minute radio interview to place in local talk radio programs or a podcast.